- Hurricane Irma, a category 4 storm, has hit the lower Florida Keys. Gusts of 91mph have already been recorded at Key West with 71mph recorded at Fort Lauderdale.
- A warning from the National Weather Service in Key West warned people to “take action now to protect your life”. It said: “If you are here, please go to interior room away from windows. Treat these imminent extreme winds as if a tornado was approaching and move immediately to the safe room in your shelter.”
- As Hurricane Irma moves through the Caribbean, President Trump has issued emergency declarations for Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Puerto Rico. A major disaster declaration has also been issued for the US Virgin Islands.
- Amid urgent warnings from state officials to evacuate before it was too late, downtown Miami was all but abandoned on Saturday.
- Residents in the British Virgin Islands have described a scene of“utter devastation” in the wake of Irma.
Our thoughts and prayers goes to the people affected by this natural disaster!
Watch Live Below!